[LUG] Learning to use a home server

I now have my Ubuntu server installed on an old desktop and I am now trying to get started with it. So I am looking at any help I can find on the internet, there do not seem to be any good books about it.

Most of the 'Get started' type of help files begin by advising setting up a static DNS for the server. That makes it easier, apparently, on each restart. Now I thought that the idea with a server was to leave it on more or less permanently. So any restarts should be very rare.

Is a static DNS really so important?

Thanks

Neil