Re: [LUG] Learning to use a home server

Static DNS... not necessarily necessary for a LAN setup. If you're planning on accessing your server when away from home, then possibly... but that's another discussion.

I would *definitely* give it a static IP address, and make sure it's in the same range as your LAN.
If your home LAN gives IP addresses like 192.168.1.57 with subnet masks of 255.255.255.0, then give your server an IP address anywhere between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.254 (make sure it is not taken first... check the IP addresses of all other devices on your network first).

DNS is very useful, but not *immediately* important for very small LAN systems.
IP is vital.

Grant.