Re: [LUG] Home server - follow up

On 28/04/13 17:10, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Having finally got my old desktop more or less working again (thanks
> for all the help) I have now had a go at installing the Ubuntu server.
> I know that bad apple suggested trying the Debian server and I did
> look at the web site. There is so much there that I was completely
> overwhelmed and gave up looking in the end.
>
> I did have a bit of trouble with the old HD, and the installation
> failed with error messages a couple of times. In the end I ran a live
> DVD on the machine, and used gparted to reformat the disk as Ext4.
>
> So, starting tomorrow I will have a look at it all. If anyone can
> advise about some good help articles on the internet I would be
> grateful. I may well be back with some questions!
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil

You were looking for this I believe:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/wheezy_di_rc1/amd64/iso-cd/debian-wheezy-DI-rc1-amd64-netinst.iso

But you may want to wait for another week or so, when Debian will be
officially releasing their latest stable (wheezy) build.

I think you could get a lot of mileage out of this site:
http://www.howtoforge.com/

Look for the "perfect server" guides, which can walk you through
complete setups from scratch of Ubuntu server, Debian, CentOS, Arch...
pretty much everything really.

Cheers