[LUG] Booting from USB

During my recent thread about changing the DVD drive on an old computer, one topic that was mentioned was that it would be a good idea to try installing a new distro using a USB memory stick instead of the DVD drive.

Now that I have got the new DVD drive working I have had a look at the BIOS in both the old machine and my new one. In the boot list there is no mention of using the USB port on either one.

For the old machine that does not surprise me, it is 7 years old. However the current desktop is just 2 years old and has several USB ports. The boot order list in the BIOS just shows the CD/DVD drive first and the HD second. That's it.

Does this mean that I can forget about booting from USB altogether? I have had a look around the internet for this but am still confused.

Thanks for any help,

Neil