Re: [LUG] Free versus usurping [was: Another example of open vs closed source]

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 07:11:23AM +0100, tom wrote:
> Given that most economists seem to think the economy can not be
> modelled accurately in the first place I cant imagine them worrying
> about coding minutiae.

I think this particular case was more about a "silly error" that was not
spotted. Similar such errors abound:
- The space shuttle metric and imperial measurements
- The "London Whale" and $6.2bn trading loss

http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/27.25.html#subj8

There is also a 2007 report
http://www.cio.com/article/131500/Eight_of_the_Worst_Spreadsheet_Blunders?page=2&taxonomyId=3000

The importance is making sure that careless errors are found

--
Henry
Communication not signed with an original manual signature or an appropriately