Re: [LUG] HTML5 DRM

 On 19/04/2013 13:08, tom wrote:
On 19/04/13 11:39, Julian Hall wrote:
 On 19/04/2013 07:57, tom wrote:
On 18/04/13 23:18, Julian Hall wrote:
 On 17/04/2013 08:49, Ray Smith wrote:

On Apr 17, 2013 8:02 AM, "tom" <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

> There seem to be attempts to get DRM into HTML5 standard so the likes of Netflix can use the browser for video streaming - like we need more shit blocking up the wires! > As far as I can tell I should be able to run W7 or W8 in a VM and effectively copy the screen and sound of anything thats going on without the OS being 'aware' of it running in a VM unless there is a hardware check. So 99.9% of PC's etc with non UEFI/Secure boot will effectively allow copying of DRMed product.
> I think I've seen this done on W7 on a VM but I cant be sure.
> Any ideas?
> Tom te tom te tom
>
> --

Which part is "more shit"?
Do you mean HTML5 or Netflix in general?
I like Netflix, catching up will all episodes of 24 right now.

Ray

Sent from my Nexus 7

To be honest, I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference what technology movies are streamed with. I would have thought a movie of a particular length will, assuming it's streamed with the same quality settings, use up the same - or similar - amount of bandwidth whether it's sent via HTML5 or another method, so I don't think the data content is the issue. The volume on the other hand is, but then that's a matter for those maintaining the network infrastructure to worry about.

As for Netflix etc, it's entirely up to the individual what their bandwidth is used for.. I'd probably use it myself if the main TV was Internet capable :)

Julian

My point there was that , I believe, you hire a movie you can watch i as many time as you like for x days. And its freshly downloaded every time. And there is no way an ISP can provide caching for the volumes this will generate.
Tom te tom te tom

On the other hand, my ISP, Virginmedia, provides Catchup TV services for the last week (may even be two weeks.. only had my TiVo installed yesterday). Admittedly not every programme on every channel is available on Catchup, but that is still a very hefty amount of A/V content sat on their servers in case anyone wants to view it. The same volume could equally be a movie catalogue, so I don't think it's entirely out of the question.

Kind regards,

Julian

And that is cached locally - near to you ? Or is it cached just next door to the provider and the ISP and still block up the interwebs?
Tom te tom te tom

No idea, but my point was simply that they obviously do cache that volume of data, so whether it's movies or Catchup TV it's still data going over the network if only VM's network if locally cached. Also as Rob says the TiVo comes with a lot of apps, including Twitter, YouTube, BBC iPlayer and many more which give users even more ways to create data on the Internet in general as none of those three are confined to VM's servers.

Julian