Re: [LUG] More problems with my Linux

On 19/04/13 10:47, Peter M Le Mare wrote:
> Here I am again asking for help. A few days ago my Linux (Ubunto
> 12.04) just crashed and it will not boot up again. I have another
> version on a separate disk and after secveral attempts I have booted
> up with this and by accessing sideways all the documents etc. are
> there. Is there some way of rescuing the boot up and desktop
> interface?? I have tried putting in a cd data Ubunto but all it offers
> is yet another along side or complete reformatting and wiping all data.
>
> There are two reasons for wanting to rescue this version as it had the
> older desktop previous to Unity that gives me everything open along
> the bottom I cannot get used to the Unity one which lists evrything
> down the side but not individual windows). I can't remember what my
> desktop was called and how I downloaded it.
>
> The second reason is that I have earlier this year lost al my old
> addresses in my Thunderbird (17 odd years worth) and have just started
> rebuilding it. I can copy over to a new system all the other data but
> I have been unable to find where my addresses are and how to copy them.
>
> Yet again please help online and if there is anyone near me (St Just)
> I would appreciate if you might visit and help.

You should be able to copy over all hidden files in your home
directory,   However I think you need to have the same user name on both
installs for this to work properly.

You can also export you address book as csv file, before i re-instlled i
just copied all my addresses in to one address book (dragging and
dropping) so then i just had to back up 1 file.

I am guessing you are near to Penzance, can anyone at the hackspace help
give you some 1 2 1 help and importantly a work bench to set everything
up on.

http://openshed.org/

Paul