Re: [LUG] Home server

On 08/04/13 18:18, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 6:12 PM, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I wouldn't research too much either Neil - you've got a spare box, you
know some linux by now and you're even familiar with VirtualBox.
Virtualization or not, I'd stop prevaricating, give up on research and
just dive in head first. It's not like you're a total newbie anymore!

Good luck.

Cheers

What he said!

You can spend forever researching and getting things "just right", but
you won't learn until you give it a go. You will make mistakes, and
you will learn from them.

You have the kit. You know how to install a distro. Dive in!

Grant.

Well, I tried. I have set up the computer again and got everything ready. I have had my new/current computer for a while now. I had forgotten the main reason for buying a new one. On my old computer the CD/DVD drive does work but, unfortunately, it is very slow to get going when I first switch on. I have checked the BIOS and the DVD drive is top of the boot list. However, when I switch on, the DVD drive starts up so slowly that by the time it is going properly the BIOS has already moved on to the HD and is booting from there.

The result is that the DVD in the drive is ignored. I was planning to install a new distro to start with, but I cannot get the DVD drive going in time to be recognised. If anyone has some ideas around this I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Neil