Re: [LUG] Wifi setups for the wider community

On 08/04/13 16:06, Simon Avery wrote:
On 8 April 2013 15:49, Andrew Pratt <am.pratt469@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please don't use powerline adapters, they cause radio interference. This has been a long running issue for radio amateurs using HF (short wave) radio.

Interesting. I didn't know that, but they are licenced so legal to sell and use, so I fear your request will be unheard by many.

Personally, I try not to use them because I've had some very poor results and where I had good results, the bloody things have died within weeks. (Seriously, I had three pairs all die at home in a month, that's not cheap).

I serve wifi to our holiday cottage (www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk - shameless plug (again)) with a wifi bridge attached to a drainpipe served by a cable from the router in my office and run through the attic.

It's about 25 yards from the cottage and the cottage walls are about 1.5 foot thick made of granite. No problems except during really torrential rain. Easy to administer with web admin interface.

I've always found these guys, http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-outdoor-bridging.htm, to give fast and helpful service. I think mine was the cheapest option on that page.

I agree about powerline plugs. After the house electrics got changed, with separate ring mains for different parts of the house they became useless. And while you don't need to be a tech genius configuring them under linux is a bit of a pain.

Simon