Re: [LUG] Off topic, but can anyone help please ?

 On 06/04/2013 17:12, raymond.knowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi All,

I realise that this is off topic, if anyone has
any relevant experiences,
lets swop ideas.

I had a
hybrid windows/Linux wired network which worked tolerably
well. Then
I acquired two Windows 7 PCs and tried to wire
them in. Trouble is, the network
name is something other
than Workgroup, and I have not yet found out how to

convince the Win 7 PCs to be part of anything other than
Workgroup.

I realise that I could re-name the existing
network, but I would prefer the
new machines to tie into
the existing network, rather that it tie into them.

Ideas
please ?

Regards etc,
Ray Knowles.

Glad bad apple was able to help :) Just for reference this is how I do it in Windows 7 as it's slightly different to that webpage;

Click Start icon - Right click Computer - Properties.

Advanced System Settings on the right, Yes when User Account Control whinges.

Click Change - give the computer a name; radio button in Workgroup, enter the name of the existing network.

You should get a dialogue box 'Welcome to [your network's name]'

Click OK and at some point it will prompt you to restart. Once you've restarted all is fine :)

Julian