Re: [LUG] Home server

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013, Manipula wrote:

Im looking for an old pc for a home server so you coukd sell it to me :-)

I've advertised one to the list a couple of times now... midi tower case, Athlon XP2400+ (I think) 1GB RAM, one IDE drive, CD maybe DVD, I can't remember. I did have an old colour monitor (tube) but took it to the tip in the end.

However the biggest issue with recycling - it's good in principle, but the reality is that a modern home server will use  the power of an old
desktop box...

So use an old one to see if it's for you, then do it properly and buy a new low-power box based on an Atom or AMD low-power chip with some decent 'green' drives - but remember this will run 24/7 ...

A NAS box might be a viable alternative if you just want it to serve files...

Gordon