Re: [LUG] Tor Project

On 04/04/13 18:58, bad apple wrote:
On 04/04/13 17:53, Neil Winchurst wrote:
I do normally use Firefox as my browser. I do not have Chromium
installed. I have tried it in the past, before I upgraded to my
current distro, and I did not like it at all. I do have Opera
installed, would that one do? Is the idea that I would use this
secondary browser just for Tor?

That's what I do Neil - I've got pretty much all of the browsers
installed (for testing purposes) and I just happen to use Chromium
exclusively with Tor. I remember that some some browsers have annoying
proxy settings that actually modify your system wide proxy settings
rather than having their own individual per-application proxy settings,
and I think Opera may have been an offender in this regard. A quick bit
of experimentation will uncover any issues like that obviously. You can
also manually fire up browsers from the terminal and give them special
one-off proxy parameters to override this behaviour though, like so:

I have downloaded and tried Tor. It runs OK, but it automatically uses Firefox. I have looked through the settings and so far can't find any way to change this.

I also find that it runs much more slowly than FF. That is it takes a long time to open a web page first time. After that of course it is quicker if I open the same page during that session.

Neil