Re: [LUG] Tor Project

On 04/04/13 17:53, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I do normally use Firefox as my browser. I do not have Chromium
> installed. I have tried it in the past, before I upgraded to my
> current distro, and I did not like it at all. I do have Opera
> installed, would that one do? Is the idea that I would use this
> secondary browser just for Tor?

That's what I do Neil - I've got pretty much all of the browsers
installed (for testing purposes) and I just happen to use Chromium
exclusively with Tor. I remember that some some browsers have annoying
proxy settings that actually modify your system wide proxy settings
rather than having their own individual per-application proxy settings,
and I think Opera may have been an offender in this regard. A quick bit
of experimentation will uncover any issues like that obviously. You can
also manually fire up browsers from the terminal and give them special
one-off proxy parameters to override this behaviour though, like so:

http://justplainobvious.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/how-to-configure-google-chrome-for-tor.html

Simon Avery wrote:
>> There are a number of firefox plugins to control Tor, allowing you to
proxy through it for all/some pages.

This is true, but it's not considered good practice as your regular
browser can both be fingerprinted and is going to be leaking personally
identifiable details, both of which rather defeat the point of Tor. For
example, the Tor maintainers themselves recommend not to use Torbutton.
For Tor you should always use a separate, vanilla browser locked in
'Private' mode.

Regards