Re: [LUG] Tor Project

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Simon Avery wrote:
> I stopped using it when I went to post on a forum to be told "Your IP has
> been blocked for posting child pornography". I felt quite uncomfortable
> sharing these exit nodes after that.

Firstly, to use Tor you don't have to run an exit node. I don't. I
believe they don't even recommend ordinary home users doing so.

And secondly, yes, if you help provide anonymity, you also enable it
for people who use it for pretty bad stuff. I don't think it's Tor's
fault and I don't think it means we should stop using it - or even
make its use illegal, as some have suggested.

Tor's argument is that stopping Tor would stop child abuse. It would
prevent opposition activists in Syria from communicating with, for
instance, the Western press. I agree with them.

Martijn.