Re: [LUG] irc

On 03/04/13 17:43, Simon Avery wrote:
> In the short time I've been on the list, both ircds have failed in turn, leaving
> me billy-no-mates on
one until some kind soul came to find me.

Yes IIRC i came in to both,  and said on the phractured server there was
an issue and suggested people connect via flashtek.

> Outages have persisted for weeks.
>
> Freenode's have never failed in that time other than the occasional
disconnect, which could be anywhere along my route. Using icmp is not a
reliable guide for performance, especially for someone who's
historically been the target of ddos's and may drop pings while still
providing service. I'm surprised you wave those pastes around like
they're proof of anything. Did you try connection to the server during
those ping outages?

> I don't like being ungrateful, but sometimes what's best for the group
is more important than risking upsetting a couple. So please don't
change just because I think it's a good idea (not that my influence is
so great anyway), but because others also think it's a good idea. IRC is
important to me and my first or second line of communication to several
groups and friends, but it's not the end of the world and few others
have a client set up to idle as often as me so I will happily concede
majority view - just expect me to whine next time it breaks again... :)

> On 3 April 2013 17:25, Neil Stone <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Ok I don't mind either way but take this in to account

our own server = our own rules / terms & conditions etc,   freenode
rules do state that anyone under 13 can't register as a user, that is
due to  US laws or something so out of their control,  I like the
control we have.

Yes there are two (well more if  you look at /map) servers and if one
goes down you simply connect to the other or both,   Sure if I find
issues I post here,  so people perhaps think oh i will connect to the
other server.

To  be fair on Neil the issue was fixed very quickly probably a quick
server kick,   where as with phractured it was problematic for ages but
neil isn't in charge of this server. Everyone is a volunteer

I think we should keep what we have,  and be thankful to Neil for
running it,

IIRC we had this conversation about the website,   and people (gordon)
offered to host a new one, offers from me included redoing the site in
word press, (partly to make it easier) but this idea was shot down,   so
the website is as it is.

so A BIG thank you to Neil Stone for running the irc stuff :)

Paul