Re: [LUG] Fwd: Question for the LUG

On 29/03/13 17:53, Paul Sutton wrote:
> On 29/03/13 17:12, Julian Hall wrote:
>>  Hi All,
>>
>> I had the below query from a friend.  Sounds odd to me.  Is there any
>> reason Linux boot CDs wouldn't work while Windows ones will?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Julian

I've got a customer's Acer Aspire One sat right next to me (I had to
replace the screen and recover a trashed install) and the first thing I
can tell you is that they don't have a CD/DVD drive.

They are 10" netbooks, way too small for optical drives. Of course, they
may be using a USB CD/DVD drive to boot from which in itself could be an
issue. I had no problems flashing windows 7, Debian and GRML distros to
USB sticks and booting the unit from them at various stages in the
repair process though. There are several different models of this
machine though, do you know which one they have?

UEFI boot does *not* only support windows 8 either. This workstation has
an MSI board with UEFI and has had a perfectly functioning win7 install
on a secondary disk since day one. I have installed win7 countless times
on UEFI systems. I think you are conflating UEFI and secure boot: they
are not synonymous. There are plenty of UEFI implementations out there
without secure boot at all, and it can be disabled on those UEFI
instances that do have it incorporated.

Regards