Re: [LUG] .bad apple.

On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 10:10:38 +0000
Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Simon,

>Glad I'm not on any of your lists then...

That looks almost as though you'd rather see spam messages arriving, on
a list than wait a few hours for a real post to arrive.  Perhaps I've
misunderstood you.

Thankfully, the lists I run are all very low circulation, with a good
number of savvy individuals subscribed, so the problem is minuscule.

>I would say the majority of individuals use a free webmail provider.
>Why would they not? The interfaces are very slick, they provide imap

Just because it looks easy, doesn't mean it is.  I'm a firm believer in
the maxim "the right tool for the job".  Clearly, it seems to me, a web
browser isn't the right place to handle email.

>and pop3 for those who want it, and their incoming spam protection is
>usually better than most people can do on their own.

Very true, but that's not the issue, is it?  It's their own system that
is being abused.  They ignore, largely that.

>between an outsourced address using, say, gmail as a provider, and a
>free gmail account. How would you know? Can't go by email address.

That's been covered by others.  In any event, it's common knowledge that
Virgin, NTL and BT outsource their email.

>IME, the only way not to spend your time constantly frustrated and
>angry with email is to adopt a somewhat pragmatic view.

I try to.  Sadly, often what happens is this;  Spam arrives on list.
Some moron quotes it and asks "Is this Spam?"  Another idiot quotes that
and says "Yes".  Now I have *three* messages to deal with.  Deleting
messases from te archive is a right royal PITA because it means dealing
with the hosting company, as I don't have command line access to the
list server.

--
 Regards  _
If Adolf Hitler flew in today, they'd send a limousine anyway