Re: [LUG] linux distro experiences for pre-school

On 24/03/13 16:04, Philip Whateley wrote:
> I am business manager for Duchy Preschool in Bradninch.
>
> I use Linux (Ubuntu 12.04) for all the business operations.
>
> We do have a Linux box for the children to use and we have Gcompris etc
> installed. However, the children mainly access cbeebies website. One
> problem that has been identified by our EYP is that most approved EY
> software available runs from CD-ROM only (usually Win or Mac). Also
> Gcompris doesn't have "British English" audio, and the spelling stuff
> is all upper case, which doesn't comply with the curriculum requirements
> to teach recognition of lower case letters first.
I am sure that is solvable,   modules are written in c or python so if
words are in upper case it could be a case of changing the source
code.   With  Tux typing is a case of editing the word lists.   I am
sure someone can knock up a shell script that can take in a text file of
words in upper case,  change them to lower case and save the file with
the new word list.

i take it the software needs to teach children letter sounds (phonics)

I am sure the actual letters can be fixed,   sounds are more difficult,

What about for other subjects such as Maths, shape recognition etc,
gcompris is more than just writing, so maybe there is a place for it, in
other curriculum areas.

to me it would complement other subjects and we can use other software
to teach letter sounds / reading etc.

Paul

> We do have USB EY keyboards though.
>
> I would be happy to involve our EYP in trying to specify exactly what
> would be useful in terms of the EYFS statutory framework. We are a
> beacon setting for Devon and often get placements, and mentor
> practitioners in other settings.
>
> For interest I am also chair of the Devon Sub-Committee of the
> Pre-school Learning Alliance (PSLA), and Chair of the Western Divisional
> Council of the PSLA which covers roughly a triangle from Stafford to
> Newbury to Penzance. I'll talk to them about the ICT aspect of the
> statutory framework - there may be some mileage for promoting Linux,
> especially with the financial constraints in Early Years.
>
> Let me know what I can do to help further.
Ok will do, or some of the other exeter lug team will who are working on
the project,

> Phil
>
> On 24/03/13 13:44, Paul Sutton wrote:
>> One of the current projects for the Exeter lug is to help set up a
>> network for a pre-school, details here
>>
>> http://exeter.lug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=ltsp_for_the_ark
>>
>> one of the suggestions was to use Mint as the OS on the dekstop,  Rick
>> has suggested we use a child friendly interface,   Despite efforts Dan S
>> and Myself have not found much that can plug in to Mint,  we find
>> alternative distros however.
>>
>> There are a few distros out there that are built with this in mind
>>
>> http://www.brighthub.com/computing/linux/articles/43224.aspx
>>

>> has a few,  I was just wondering if anyone could advise from ACTUAL
>> experiences of working in a pre school and with Linux,  either directly
>> or supporting / knowing someone who working in a preschool and is
>> therefore familiar with how the software would tie in with  EYFS, ECM
>> and other aspects of the early years curriculum / framework / strategies.
>>
>> We need to lock down the system and allow access ONLY to user programns
>> we want the children to have access too,  while at the same time,   if
>> an adult logs in they should have fuller acces so they can say configure
>> the system or add / remove software or do other admin tasks.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Paul

http://www.zleap.net
skype : psutton111

http://www.raspberrypi.org
http://www.ubuntu.com

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.