[LUG] linux distro experiences for pre-school

One of the current projects for the Exeter lug is to help set up a
network for a pre-school, details here

http://exeter.lug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=ltsp_for_the_ark

one of the suggestions was to use Mint as the OS on the dekstop,  Rick
has suggested we use a child friendly interface,   Despite efforts Dan S
and Myself have not found much that can plug in to Mint,  we find
alternative distros however.

There are a few distros out there that are built with this in mind

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/linux/articles/43224.aspx

has a few,  I was just wondering if anyone could advise from ACTUAL
experiences of working in a pre school and with Linux,  either directly
or supporting / knowing someone who working in a preschool and is
therefore familiar with how the software would tie in with  EYFS, ECM
and other aspects of the early years curriculum / framework / strategies.

We need to lock down the system and allow access ONLY to user programns
we want the children to have access too,  while at the same time,   if
an adult logs in they should have fuller acces so they can say configure
the system or add / remove software or do other admin tasks.

thanks

Paul

http://www.zleap.net
skype : psutton111

http://www.raspberrypi.org
http://www.ubuntu.com

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.