Re: [LUG] Sqlite front end

On 22 February 2013 13:14, Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have tried Postgresql in the past and found it very difficult to use.
> Perhaps things are better now. I will have a look. But again, from what you
> say above, the GUI is not built in and you have to mess around with 'Views
> or Triggers' to 'simulate' calculated fields. This should have been built in
> as part of the spec right from the start.

I am guessing that Postgres not directly supporting calculated fields
in the database is because it is bad form to store derived data in a
relational database. Probably the only reason to store calculated data
in the db is if the calculation is too slow or difficult to do at the
time the data is required. If you are just calculating some percentage
of a column or doing some straightforward maths then you should do it
when you extract the data and not store it in the db.

As I remember it was Paradox 3 for DOS I bought way back in the early
90's and all business software was expensive back then.

> Or is Postgres not the same as Postgresql?

It's the same thing.

Kevin