Re: [LUG] Sqlite front end

On 22/02/13 09:55, Simon Waters wrote:
Sqlite is designed to embed in other programs. It is a file based system, with no
database server. These kinds of database are okay for single user programs, but as a
firm believer in feature creep I'd use Postgres for most programs requiring a sql
database back end unless the requirements make it obvious I need something else.

I assume the rampant database bloat in Firefox is more to do with how they use
Sqlite than Sqlite itself.

Not saying you are wrong to want a front end but seems unusual thing to ask.

Why is it unusual? I had better explain. My last job before I retired was as a self-employed creator of small databases for local small businesses. I used a Windows program called Borland Paradox. This was what is known as a monolithic type, that is all included. It was of the same style as MS Access but in my opinion far superior.

It included everything in one program that is tables, forms, queries, reports and, most important of all, its own built in script language called PAL (Paradox Application Language).

All my work creating these databases was via the GUI in the program. Everything was done this way, there was no need to use a terminal screen at all.

Likewise my clients were provided with a GUI program to use. If I had told them that they would have to learn to use a DOS type set up to use it, well they would still be laughing!

My biggest problem with Linux is that there is no equivalent program available. Yes, I have tried Kexi and OO Base. They are trying but not there yet. Their biggest failing is that there is no simple way to use calculated fields. This is absolutely necessary in almost all databases and was included in Paradox (and Access) years ago. Databases are always the poor relation, the last to be worked on.

So, why do I want a front end for sqlite? Because that is the way I like to work with databases. To me the idea of using a terminal screen to set up and use a database is just plain stupid.

Just my opinion,

Neil