Re: [LUG] Enterprise print service

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013, Kai Hendry wrote:

On 16 February 2013 19:06, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Can you explain what you mean.  All modern print servers support IPP. CUPS is just
one such print server.
Some printers support IPP directly, typically expensive ones.

Can you give an example of such a printer model?

The HP4600CN sitting behind me. (cost £1000's when new)

The HP PhotoInkJet in my wifes office. (which cost about £70)

Almost any printer with an Ethernet socket.

Discovery of printers is typically done using cups browsing protocol on *nix (Udp on port 631) and samba's cups support to advertise printers to clients using Microsoft SMb family of protocols.

The current Webconverger stance on http://webconverger.org/printing is
to make people setup a CUPs server for their printers, instead of
local installs.

This sucks because there is quite a high barrier to setup one's own
CUPS print server.

So don't.

The alternative is to use printers with Ethernet sockets then get every PC on the network to print directly to the printer. That's my current strategy.

However for corp-o-rats who whish to account for every page printed, every drop of ink and track it back to an individual user, this may not be acceptible - hence the need for print servers, or hugely complex custon printer drivers that need to be installed on each PC to do the accounting for you.

A client currently has a leased printer/scanner (not an uncommon scenario in SMEs and bigger) and it can do its own accounting - provided the sending machine is identifiable via Wins. Or if not, then IP address. Although they don't care about accounting (they trust the staff), its all there..

So the solution is to only buy printers with Ethernet sockets and print directly to them.

Gordon