Re: [LUG] Enterprise print service

On 16 February 2013 19:06, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Can you explain what you mean.  All modern print servers support IPP. CUPS is just
> one such print server.
> Some printers support IPP directly, typically expensive ones.

Can you give an example of such a printer model?

> Discovery of printers is typically done using cups browsing protocol on *nix (Udp
> on port 631) and samba's cups support to advertise printers to clients using
> Microsoft SMb family of protocols.

The current Webconverger stance on http://webconverger.org/printing is
to make people setup a CUPs server for their printers, instead of
local installs.

This sucks because there is quite a high barrier to setup one's own
CUPS print server.

With a CUPS print server on the network, that in my (limited) printing
experience is the easiest to detect and print to as a client on the
network, without any extra software.
https://github.com/Webconverger/webc/blob/master/etc/cups/cupsd.conf#L20

Perhaps I'm missing a trick with other printing protocols:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Print_server

It's just that Webconverger is designed so that it cannot have any new
drivers or software written to an install to get printing working.

I guess my print problems is why Google invented
http://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/ and why Apple invented
AirPrint? :)

Thanks for any pointers in advance,