Re: [LUG] NVidia drivers and Linux

On 13/02/13 12:39, paul sutton wrote:
On 13/02/13 12:36, Neil Winchurst wrote:
These NVidia graphic cards seem to cause a lot of grief in Linux. I
don't have one as my computer has built in graphics on an Intel
motherboard. I am not interested in gaming so that is fine for me.

But many people on the list seem to have problems at times. I would be
interested to know if there are other cards which could be used
instead and which work well with Linux. Or are we stuck with NVidia if
we want a separate graphics card?

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Neil

As far as I am aware there is:-

Ati or Nvidia,  as far as accelerated graphics goes, it's not Just
gaming,  I am sure that there are advantages in other areas such as
blender or 3d modelling that take advantage of the features (or some) .

Paul

I have 3 nvidia integrated machines at the moment - all with problems and a laptop with intel integrated with no problems. 2 of the nvidia machines worked well: blender ran as expected until more recent upgrades and now blender is no longer usable on them Going back to older drivers results in no graphics. The 3rd machine sort of works OK with blender but has other graphics problems
I have installed other nvidia cards and had problems with those.
Anyone know of cards that just work?
Tom te tom te tom