Re: [LUG] virtual box and users set in their ways

On Sat, 2013-02-09 at 12:19 +0000, Simon Waters wrote:
> On 09/02/13 12:04, Neil Stone wrote:
> >
> > XP can see and use loads of ram. Just depends on the hardware and if
> > it's 32 or 64 bit XP.
>
> Although if it is a virtualized 32bit version it'd be interesting to see
> if there is any difference between 3.5GB and 4GB ;)
>
> My take is that it is a user problem, and the best solution is probably
> to make the transition as painless as possible, rather that avoid the
> transition all together.

Yes he has Parkinsons and can take several days to do just one Email and
has had the smae desktop for 12 years now.

> Time to stick KDE4 XP theme on a box to show him what it looks like.
>
> Fortran at the command line shouldn't be a problem..... But which
> Fortran compiler does he use?

Not sure but I hope to match it with a linux one soon.

> I doubt OpenOffice will scare Word 6 users too much.
He has his macros which he hasn't got on very well with in OO

> Or possibly time to do the Microsoft thing with Windows XP and end
> mainstream support ;)

I feel he may tinker with the Linux desktop and as he wont break it as
much as the XP, we may well move on here.

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)
Skype minions_shop