Re: [LUG] Linux - viruses etc

I've spent *way* too much time crafting very convoluted rulesets with
spamassassin (exim4 + clamav + SA to reject at SMTP). Must be up to
hundreds of hours over the years, both paid and unpaid.

What I have works very well for over 95% of spams, phishing attempts,
social engineering and viruses. I've learned a lot, but like any arms
race it's constantly changing and you need to commit time to keeping
on top of it. Some gets through, mostly phishing and successfully
tricks one of our users into going somewhere they shouldn't and our AV
notifies me somebody's broken our AUP and I go and have a quiet
word... :)

If I was starting out again now...

Personal mail, Gmail or similar. Their antispam is really good and
transparent. I used gmail for my personal mail.

Commercial mail: I know a lot of companies are moving offsite to
outlook.com, gmail, hosted zimbra (plus backend filtering support) and
a million other remote combinations. Unfortunately, our userbase is
email heavy and like to send lots of big files like photos back and
forth. Couple that with very small bandwidth for our rural sites and
we are very much limited to hosting and running our own system, which
does take a degree of management. That said, it still weighs in far
cheaper than any hosted solution I looked at, and you don't have to
worry about per-user cost.

By hosting it myself, I also own the data and servers. At a business
level it's a massive vulnerability passing over control of your
company's email to somebody else who might go bankrupt, get hacked,
decide they don't like the colour of your eyes or deny you access
through any one of a million reasons.  These concerns are also why I'm
not a Cloud lover :)