[LUG] Linux - viruses etc

Until very recently I almost never saw any scam emails on my accounts. (I am not referring to viruses and other nasties here.) However, in the last two or three months or so I seem to be getting a lot of rubbish sent to me.

They seem to come in different groups. I have had some from 'ladies' with Russian sounding names who want to be my friend. I have had some which offer to improve my presence on the web. Others are offers of ways to make money easily and quickly. And I need hardly mention the ones that can improve my love life with various medical nostrums.[1]

Is it just me or is this stuff really increasing recently? I used to get such items very rarely, perhaps two or three times a year. (That is not a typo, they were that rare.) Now I get some most days.

I would be interested to hear what others on the list think,

Neil

[1] Nostrum, a medicine sold with false or exaggerated claims and with no demonstrable value; quack medicine. (dictionary.com) Just showing off.