Re: [LUG] wireless mice

On 31/01/13 12:47, Simon Robert -Cottage wrote:
Hi

does anyone know what the current state of play is with linux,
specificaly kubuntu 12.10, and wireless mouses these days? I tried one a
few years back and it did less than the ones the cat brings me (though
they don't have onboard wifi) so I was sort of hoping there was a
standard and these things "just work".

If there isn't, a standard, and they don't, just work, does anyone know
of a brand that does without me needing to roll my own drivers.

I have to upgrade hardware for someone with a deep dislike of wires on
their desk...

Thanks

Si

Well my Microsoft Wireless Desktop keyboard and mouse just works. Has a propritary 2.4Ghz USB adaptor but it didn't need any messing about, just put batteries in and it worked. That's been the case with all the wireless mice and keyboards I've used (going back to an old Microsoft wireless mouse in 1999 on RedHat 5).

The only way I can think of any mice causing an issue is if you get a wifi one (I think HP do one wifi mouse, not sure if it requires specific drivers). I've also seen some Bluetooth mice and keyboards but I haven't tried them on Linux (or Windows for that matter).

Rob