Re: [LUG] network tools and windows

On 23/01/13 22:33, paul sutton wrote:

> Just wondered if windows still had tools such as whois,  netstat,  ping,
> nslookup included,  I am asking as one of the rugby club members asked
> me who owns the paigntonrugby.co.uk domain,  being a linux user I used
> whois,  and got the answer easily,  (well sort of, got a company
> name,but no other details such as address)  just wondered if these tools
> are in windows,  i had heard some were being removed.

Pretty sure netstat, ping and nslookup are around by default on Windows,
many more are available if and when you install them.

nslookup is a terrible tool for DNS troubleshooting, learn to use "dig",
dig isn't in windows by default (it is in "dnsutils" package in Debian).

ping whilst great for local networks was getting less reliable for
testing across the net and remote servers, although I think ISPs and web
hosts have lost the "must stop ICMP echo" meme now that DDoS attacks are
using more protocols, but these ideas circulate for years after their
utility is diminished (sometime to negative utility - People still ask
me about backup MX servers and seem surprised at the answer). There are
alternative hping3, and httping for example.

Who cares about whois on Windows? You have a GNU/Linux box, installing
all these tools is one command or a couple of clicks of a mouse. You can
use a web based whois client, and if google returns it on the front
page, it'll likely be more up to date than anything installed in Windows
or GNU/Linux unless you are some sort of whois addict (what happened to
having "whois" in "volatile" btw?)