Re: [LUG] Operating Systems We Have Known And Loved (And Hated)

On Sat, 2013-01-05 at 11:04 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> The universitys main computer was a Prime P550. They latterly upgraded to
> a 750 and later a 9950, but by then it was too late. Sun workstations had
> taken over for the computing department and CP/M, BBC Micros, Apple had
> taken over everywhere else.
>
> I hated Primos - it just never seemed "right" at all.

Nooo! :-) I worked on Pr1mos in my first job. I thought it was quite
good, and certainly developed somewhat as time went on. We had several
Primes, from an old 250, up to the 9950. Still remember the huge 300MB
disk drives, and 110MB disk cartridges.

We also had a VMS system which I used a little, but also Apollo
Workstations running the Aegis O/S. These were mainly used by the
engineering dept. Aegis was interesting as far as I recall.

I also worked a short time for McDonnell Douglas using the Pick
operating system. That was a good one.

At Uni myself we used Multics and PDP 8 and 11's.

The worst O/S for me maybe was something like Novell Netware (2 and 3).
Remembering to manually load modules and the like just to get things
working was a pain in the neck.

John.

--
John Horne, Plymouth University, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001