Re: [LUG] A windows user rescued.... new blog post - please cast your eyes over it...

On 09/01/13 21:59, Rob Beard wrote:
On 09/01/13 19:52, Roland Tarver wrote:

Before it died (after being sat on! lol) my netbook was mint 12 xfce,
but i just installed lxde. So am I missing something here? What is the
actual point of having, for example, 3 versions of mint? With each one
defaulting to a particular desktop [ kde | xfce | lxde ] ?

Asked another way what is the difference, apart from the desktop,
between each version of mint?

Cheers roly :-)

Different desktop environments in Live images, saves downloading what you don't want. If I had to download a live image with XFCE, KDE and Mate I'd be a little fed up in downloading maybe another 500MB worth of ISO for something I don't want/need.

Fair point. To my mind it just seems simpler if the mint folks include a "sensible" (however you define that) desktop and then you can install what you want when you get a network connection. A couple of problems i guess - some people perhaps never get a net connection; and, some folks wont know how to install a different DE (and perhaps not even no they have the choice....) hey ho....

Maybe sometimes it's handy to have it all in one distro, but then I'd probably have an ISO for each (I generally keep a Mint 13 Mate 32-Bit and 64-Bit ISOs and a 32-Bit XFCE ISO). One of these days I'm going down download them all and burn a selection of DVDs and keep them in a nice DVD case (last time I did that I had a selection of every ISO image of Fedora, and CDs and DVDs burnt with Fedora for every architecture they did, all on fancy printed CDs... my god did I have too much time on my hands!).

lol lol - You have kids! how did you ever have that much time on your hands! hahaha :-p

Rob