Re: [LUG] A windows user rescued.... new blog post - please cast your eyes over it...

On 09/01/13 19:52, Roland Tarver wrote:

Before it died (after being sat on! lol) my netbook was mint 12 xfce,
but i just installed lxde. So am I missing something here? What is the
actual point of having, for example, 3 versions of mint? With each one
defaulting to a particular desktop [ kde | xfce | lxde ] ?

Asked another way what is the difference, apart from the desktop,
between each version of mint?

Cheers roly :-)

Different desktop environments in Live images, saves downloading what you don't want. If I had to download a live image with XFCE, KDE and Mate I'd be a little fed up in downloading maybe another 500MB worth of ISO for something I don't want/need.

Maybe sometimes it's handy to have it all in one distro, but then I'd probably have an ISO for each (I generally keep a Mint 13 Mate 32-Bit and 64-Bit ISOs and a 32-Bit XFCE ISO). One of these days I'm going down download them all and burn a selection of DVDs and keep them in a nice DVD case (last time I did that I had a selection of every ISO image of Fedora, and CDs and DVDs burnt with Fedora for every architecture they did, all on fancy printed CDs... my god did I have too much time on my hands!).

Rob