Re: [LUG] MySQL Command Line client "edit"

On 9 Jan, 2013, at 12:10 am, Simon Waters wrote:

On 08/01/13 20:24, Philip Hudson wrote:

or better, the free (as in freedom) Squirrel SQL:

http://www.squirrelsql.org/

Interesting, I got as far as trying to drop a foreign key constraint
("This refactoring is not yet implemented for the MYSQL5 dialect") which
is probably fair enough.

It seems to do the kinds of thing I would like (and lots more).

I've ran out of memory once (it is Java and starts the JVM with 256MB).

Standard problem with Java apps, as I'm sure you know. They set a working minimum. It's a simple config option to change.

The "Alter table" dialog has a problem with the "Close" button, which
seems a rather basic error (clicking "Close" doesn't work, but the "X"
does the job). Similarly it isn't always clear when changes succeed, and
it doesn't automatically refresh its meta-data view when it has
invalidated it. Some other case, where I have to specify "Dialect" when
it is using the MYSQL driver, probably a hang over from supporting
multiple concurrent connections but still it ought to default to the
current driver in use, or only list available drivers.

Don't know if your Java is up to it, but if not, I can implement patches.

I hacked my imaginatively named "test" database around a bit, and it worked.

Still not sure about this one, although clearly a lot of love has gone
into it, you forget how naff Java apps can feel without native binding.

Yep. Ux is not Squirrel's strong point. The miracle is finding something free that even nearly matches TOAD.

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63