Re: [LUG] Operating Systems We Have Known And Loved (And Hated)

IBM 7094 Fortran 4 cards hand punched and posted.Â

On 8 Jan 2013 04:35, "wes" <davidson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
not exactly a reply to the op, since (1) i am not a guru by any
stretch and (2) i couldn't tell you a thing about its operating
system. Ânonetheless, i share:

first computer i touched was an hp-85. Âbuilt-in peripherals included
a keyboard, a monitor about the size of an index card (yet another
obsolete technology), a little cassette tape drive, and a printer that
used rolls of heat-sensitive paper that you could turn all blue by
holding up to a lightbulb.

i was, what, six years old? Âolder brother showed me how to load up
programs from cassette tapes.

played hunt the wumpus (no love there, none at all), and was
fascinated by some kind of adventure/zork-ish game---called gnome, i
think.

tried writing similar games in BASIC. Âi remember being baffled by the
GOSUB command. ÂSYNTAX ERROR. Ânever figured out what i was doing
wrong. Âhad to use GOTO everywhere instead.

story of my life.

-wes