Re: [LUG] Operating Systems We Have Known And Loved (And Hated)

My first computer system I never even touched for the first year. Just sent
of the program on coding sheets to the university then got back a Run report
with a bunch of punched cards.

After leaving school, for about a year I used a Shelton Signet multi user
system running some sort of CPM on which I learned Cobol and how to use
Wordstar. At the same time there was a BBC model B with the Torch Z80
processor running CPM as well, but I was the only person who ever seemed to
switch that on. Once a geek always a geek I guess.

For a few months after that I was somewhere that had Vax/VMS systems. I
can't remember the exact version, but I spent a lot of time looking at
manuals and got a quiet word in my ear when trying out the messaging command
to another user which got sent to the entire workforce because of the wrong
switch on the end.

At home, had a brief dally with Beos which I liked. I was impressed all my
hardware worked out of the box.

Ray