Re: [LUG] On Linux and Microsoft

On 08/01/13 00:44, Kai Hendry wrote:
> On 8 January 2013 07:07, Martijn Grooten <sweetwatergeek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I see a lot of things from the security point of view. Microsoft has
>> become rather co-operative when it comes to security. There are many
>> others who should take leaves out of their book.
> Am I correct in thinking that a Windows 7 install now seamlessly updates?
>
> How long did it take them to do that? :)

Oh god, I wish... not even close I'm afraid! MS still don't streamline
their god damn updates, so a very out-of-date machine (say pre-SP1) will
still require multiple runs of windows update and multiple reboots.

You can work around this by slipstreaming into your corporate install
images, and handling your WSUS update server properly. But no, for
ordinary consumers, windows update is still an absolute car crash.
Windows 8 is no different. When I'm hopefully prodding people into
"would you perhaps like to try this other system, it's called linux"
then second after cost, the hell that is windows update is my next
avenue of attack. There have been very, very few - even the staunchest
of windows fans - that don't shudder involuntarily when the issue of
windows updates comes up :]

Damn, I really wish they'd fix that shit. And, outside of a properly
handled corporate network with WinRM, powershell scripts and other stuff
way out of the realm of ordinary consumers, you still can't fire off an
update from the cmd prompt! It just can't be done. *bangs head on table*

Cheers