Re: [LUG] On Linux and Microsoft

On 07/01/13 22:02, Martijn Grooten wrote:
> I've been meaning to write this for a while, given that various discussions
> touched on the matter.
>
> I like Linux. It behaves in a way I like and it seems to be quite good at
> the kind of things I want to do with my computer. So unless there's a good
> reason not to, I use Linux wherever I can. I also like to discuss
> Linux-related stuff on places like this.
>
> But I wouldn't even dare to make a claim that Linux is superior over
> Windows. I wouldn't care either way: Linux is right for me, as Windows is
> probably right for others. Sure, most people using Windows could do the
> vary same things on Linux; likewise, I'm sure that if I knew enough about
> Windows, I would manage to do what I want there just as well.
>
> Of course, there's the whole open source thing. I like open source, but I'm
> not someone who thinks everything should be open sourced. Perhaps the world
> would be a better place if it was, or perhaps it would be a worse place for
> everyone but a few geeks. We will never know. I like to believe that the
> current status quo, with open source and closed source both playing
> important roles, works rather well.
>
> But I don't see why liking Linux means you should dislike Microsoft. I
> certainly don't dislike them, much as I have had many moments of
> frustration at their products making decisions for me. Also, I know many
> happy users of Windows, including several employees at Microsoft. None of
> them dislikes Linux.
>
> Martijn.

Well said - this is pretty much my take on it as well.

However, I'd make a further distinction personally: I *do* dislike
Microsoft. I have a good memory and won't be forgiving them for their
frequent and very well documented anti-competitive behaviour, amongst
other things.

Windows on the other hand, as an OS and distinct from Microsoft, I don't
particularly mind at all. However I *do* know several Microsoft fanboys
who actively hate all things Linux or open source in general, for no
particular reason that I've been able to determine as yet. And I know
some really, really rabid Apple worshippers, but the less said about
them, the better I think...

Regards