Re: [LUG] Windows 8 adoption

On 2 January 2013 08:36, bad apple <ifindthatinteresting@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> (But saying that, you should still totally buy one - I had a Retina
> MacBook recently and as much as I dislike OS X, the hardware was just

I wouldn't run OSX of course. I'm not a fool. ;)

> Technical merits in Win8/2012? There are a *lot*. Just off the top of my
> head: SMB 3.0, multipath concurrent SMB shares (which can be used as
> targets for the hyper-V role), hyper-V is now a fully functional

Why use SMB over httpd sharing?

> hypervisor, online de-dupe, AD cloning, WSUS overhaul, hugely improved
> system management tools, powershell 3, native iSCSI targets, storage
> spaces (backed by a new ZFS-like filesystem, as filesystems seem to

I'll be surprised if it can outperform ext4.

> tickle your fancy), native ISO mounts, etc, etc. Seriously, there are so

Wow, native ISO mounts. :)

> I'll say it before, and I'll say it again: only idiots wave the flag for
> a particular OS - we call them fanboys, and it's purposefully
> derogatory. That includes linux fanboys, who are amongst the most
> obnoxious of them all.

Well I like to think on this forum we strive for freedom. Of course I
study and use proprietary software from time to time to see what they
get upto, though I use of free software base for all my work and data
(the important stuff).

So I don't think there is any point supporting Windows users or this
"right tool for the job" argument. For me it's about forging and
making it work on a free software alternative.

Kind regards,