Re: [LUG] Windows 8 adoption

On 01/01/13 17:40, bad apple wrote:

Earlier I saw some users say they were either tied to Windows as their
main OS or still had to maintain a separate box or dual boot partition
on Windows for compatibility reasons: may I suggest if you can't get
your required apps to work under wine, switch your Windows install to a
virtual one and just run it as a VM when required? A clean Win7 install
will happily sit in a VM configured with only 20Gb of sparse disk
allocation and 2Gb RAM assigned, even 1Gb is fine as long as your
required app isn't Photoshop or something. Unless your main PC is the
biggest piece of crap ever surely you'll have dual 64bit cores and 4Gb+
RAM which is easily enough to host a Windows VM on a Linux box.

Regards

Yes, I understand that most modern computers have room for VBox and can then run eg Window 7 on there. But there is still the problem of the cost of the Windows licence, isn't there? Apart from not liking Windows, I begrudge the licence fee, mainly because it is so high and they are hardly short of money!!

When I set up my daughter with her own laptop earlier this year I installed Xubuntu for her and she seems very pleased with it. I bought a laptop with no OS installed. If I had chosen to I could have had Windows 7 installed for me at a cost of Â90. How much ????

Neil