Re: [LUG] Website Stats please...

On 31/12/12 02:16, Martijn Grooten wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 1:30 AM, Simon Waters wrote:
>
>> Software is terribly sticky
>
> Which is why I keep being amazed at how Mozilla managed to convince
> about a third of IE users to switch to Firefox, after which Google
> managed to convince another third of these users, plus a few of those
> that had switched to Firefox, to Chrome.

I think browsers are less sticky than most as they all do basically the
same thing, and there is no set-up required (there are bookmarks and
passwords, some of which the new browsers will import, but generally
these are easily sorted manually even if numerous). And generally they
don't uninstall the one they migrated from (which is probably a bad idea
from a security perspective as if someone can open the browser of their
choice via a vulnerability, multiple browser expands their options for
further mangling your system).

That said I've failed to switch to Chrome a couple of times, once Chrome
let me down, the other (later) it was a plug-in that wasn't right in the
Linux version of Chrome.

Chrome had/has a huge marketing campaign, I mean it was nag nag nag with
many Google searches and every Youtube visit.