Re: [LUG] Website Stats please...

On 31/12/12 00:02, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> This is one of the saddest bits:
>
> --- Operating Systems by visits
> * Different operating systems listed: 5
>    Windows     : 943       |############################################
> 69.4%

I am always surprised how many members use Windows for their desktop OS,
and GNU/Linux on servers only.

Not a criticism, but I find Windows desktop so irritating because all
your software ages, and a zillion updaters all want to run, and as soon
as it goes wrong you are running malware scanner with your fingers crossed.

Debian desktop has many irritations, but most of them are well
documented, and a surprising number can be solved by judicious use of
"apt-get install xxx" for some value of xxx.

So I don't get why people who have mastered GNU/Linux for a server
wouldn't switch desktops, but I guess it just takes one incompatible
device, or one application they really want to keep.

Software is terribly sticky, I'm a release of Android behind simply
because I don't have a spare stick of the suitable storage to back it
all up before I run the upgrade (then again it is still close enough to
release for this phone to say I'm waiting for them to fix the new bugs!).

> Or maybe we can look at it and think that it's really lots of windows
> people looking for a change...

I haven't archived old stats but I don't think it has changed much in
terms of proportions other than unknown increases as the program I used
for the stats ages without me hacking in new user agent string handling
:( As I said software is sticky, and I really like that program, even if
the author seems to have abandoned it.