Re: [LUG] Fortunes

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 08:21:46PM +0000, Simon Avery wrote:
> > Could you import from an iCal calendar file?  I know Google provide some
> > (generally things like national holidays etc).  If so maybe something like
> > this might be useful...
> >
> > http://www.icalshare.com/calendars/5867
> >

> Thanks - good idea. I've also now found the linux command "pal" which
> gives a lot of useful date and calendar's own dates in
> /usr/share/calendar/ but again, that doesn't have uk holidays,
> possibly because of their flexible nature.

If you want a calender program: have a look at remind (details at
http://www.roaringpenguin.com/wiki/index.php/Remind).

I quote http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/remind

Microsoft Policy

Remind can be made to run under Windows if you compile it with the Cygwin
tools. However, I prefer you not to do that. Microsoft is quite hostile to
free software, and I'd prefer you to run Remind on a platform that is not
controlled by a free-software-hostile corporation.

Apple Policy

Remind can be made to run under Mac OS X, but I prefer you not to do that.
Apple is even more hostile than Microsoft to openness, using both technical
and legal means to hobble what its customers and developers are allowed to
do. If you are thinking of buying an Apple product, please don't. If you're
unfortunate enough to already own Apple products, please consider switching
to an open platform like Linux or FreeBSD that doesn't impose "1984"-like
restrictions on your freedom.

--
Henry
Communication not signed with an original manual signature or an appropriately