[LUG] GSM Modems for sending SMSs

Hi all

Anyone have experience of attaching USB GSM Modems to Debian/Ubuntu (or linux in general)?

Any known working software/hardware solutions?

I'm looking for something I can drive via PHP ideally.

I'm working on a project where we'd like to send out a text reminder to subscribers and a GSM modem/SIM package seems significantly cheaper than subscribing to something like BulkSMS - even though it would be easier to develop for...

Cheers
Martin