Re: [LUG] GSM Modems for sending SMSs

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012, Martin Gautier wrote:

Hi all

Anyone have experience of attaching USB GSM Modems to Debian/Ubuntu (or linux
in general)?

I have a Siemens GSM modem - it has a real serial line, but the principle is the same usb or directly connected.

Any known working software/hardware solutions?

Yes.

Any "3g dongle" ought to "just work". They all look like serial modems. Just need to get one that's unlocked (if you need a sim off the network it was prigoinally provided for) and make sure it's not one of the shitty ones that needs "mode switched", or if it is, that you can mode switch it (From USB storage to USB serial) from your PC. I know the software exists for the ZTE one I have..

I'm looking for something I can drive via PHP ideally.

Look for a package under Debian called smstools - however the old one was merged into a big horrible blob some years back rather than the putsms and getsms indivdual programs (which I still use) They're command line which makes them trivial to call from anything.

Trivial:

putsms +447712191046 "Hello there"

I'm working on a project where we'd like to send out a text reminder to subscribers and a GSM modem/SIM package seems significantly cheaper than subscribing to something like BulkSMS - even though it would be easier
develop for...

Get the modem/dnegle and then get a cheap deal from e.g. giffgaff. £5 a month for unlimited texts. Even a standard dongle for data might work if the text allowance is good enough.

Gordon