Re: [LUG] cups waiting for network

On 14/12/12 07:44, tom wrote:
> On my new xubuntu machine at boot cups waits for the network for a
> couple of minutes before allowing the boot to continue, long before
> the network would be allowed to be configured.
> I'm guessing this is a bug but does anyone have a workaround?
> Tom te tom te tom

Ah, stupid Ubuntu strikes yet again... I've had to fix this on several
machines, including my own which has a complex and fully manually
configured multi-homed network setup (no network-manager installed). I
don't think anyone is completely sure of the root cause, but it seems to
be an interplay between several things: udev being crap; your machine
probably has the .local domain suffix which interferes with avahi also
being crap; network-manager being crap. There are two ways to fix this,
but I recommend the following*:

1: sudo vi /etc/init/failsafe.conf
2: change the first 'sleep' value from it's default to something very
low - I have 2
3: comment out the next two 'sleep' values of 40 and 59 completely with
a # at the start of the line
4: save the file and exit

That will fix this particular bit of retarded behaviour. I just love it
when my OS tries to second guess me - my powerful workstation boots from
SSD in ~10 seconds, this glitch slowed it back down to the levels of an
old Pentium booting from a 5400rpm magnetic disk. *rolls eyes*

Oh, and you should replace vi with whatever your editor of choice is of
course, probably nano by default.

If you're not using a static network configuration then there is another
option, but I haven't personally tested this one**.

Regards

sources:
*
http://tech.pedersen-live.com/2012/05/disable-waiting-for-network-configuration-messages-on-ubuntu-boot/