Re: [LUG] OT: Spelling religious war flamebait

> Thus, we might reasonably assume that if English spelling was more phonetic (with
> a truer and more consistent relationship between spelling and pronunciation) we
> would have fewer diagnosed dyslexics, as a result.

Maybe, but what I think is more dramatic is the inconsistency used by
others. This dyslexic learned by reading voraciously and in a way
where everyone spelled words the English way. Now we have both English
and American spellings in everyday use which surely adds to confusion
and slows down learning, not least amongst dyslexics.

That may be why more dyslexics are diagnosed today than 40 years ago.
Another reason may be increased awareness of it. And yet another
reason may be that we rely on the written word far more nowadays than
back then, and somebody who "had trouble with their letters" might get
along fine without them to some degree. I've spent some time with
Romany families where illiteracy is not uncommon, and they don't blame
it on dyslexia.

FWIW, I was taught my letters traditionally, not phonetically, and it
was difficult until the age of 12 or 13 when I started reading fiction
heavily - but school was not able to help in any way, despite some
otherwise good teachers, because it wasn't understood. I still
sometimes write a word and know it's wrong, but am unable to 'see' the
correct way of spelling it. That's where computers come in very handy
:)

Also - everyone who has dyslexia is different and may need different
ways of help. I know from talking to others that they've had a very
different journey, and many of them have been affected much worse than
I.

Si