Re: [LUG] New printer

On 30/11/12 18:53, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Right, but I found it available for download. Then I checked it to see
> and it was Windows only.
>
> Neil

Wine? It would go something like this:

sudo apt-get install wine winetricks
wine /home/neil/Downloads/name-of-printer-utility.exe

And then hopefully the last step would be "profit!" - of course you may
have to do a little more than that - unzip the utility, put it in the
right place, potentially install a couple of supporting libraries via
winetricks, but it's worth a try surely? It does sound like you probably
need a new printer anyway but you might as well experiment seeing as
you've effectively written it off at this point.

Asking around in the right places and on Freecycle, etc, could quite
possibly net you an old school HP Laserjet for free for your b&w only
needs. The things are virtually indestructible but schools, businesses,
etc seem to be constantly and unnecessarily discarding their older units.

Cheers