Re: [LUG] New printer

 On 29/11/2012 18:16, tom wrote:
On 29/11/12 17:55, Rob Beard wrote:
On 29/11/12 17:14, raymond.knowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Neil,

Yes, laser cartridges last very much better,
because the "ink" is a powder
rather than a liquid which
dries out.

Regards etc,
Ray.

On the other hand for printing photos you're generally going to get better quality with an inkjet and proper photo paper. It's swings and roundabouts really. I had a colour laser for a while and it suited me well as I was doing colour and black and white printing but not specifically photos.

Now though I have two inkjets, mainly because I rarely do any printing at home, only a few photos every so often and the kids homework.

Last time I looked at Colour Lasers they were fairly reasonable, around the £120 mark with compatible toners being around £15 each.

Rob

Or do what we do here - b&w printer from freecycle for people what wont accept eectronic format. And go to boots or somwehre for 'quality' printing. Spend on printing in 2 years - about £14 for some colour photos for relatives we were to tight to buy presents for and £10 for a new shelf when an ink cartridge leaked.
Tom te tom te tom

For online printing I would heartily recommend Photobox.. great quality and very cheap. In a recent (read a few months) review in PCPro the Tesco/Boots etc bought prints scored extremely badly for quality and price. I've used Photobox a few times, a couple for a friend who does professional wedding photography whose printer died on him at *exactly* the wrong time. Two days later we had the professional quality prints from them :)

Julian