Re: [LUG] Trouble

On 20/11/12 09:46, Simon Robert -Cottage wrote:
> On 20/11/12 00:10, Tom Brough wrote:
>> On 19/11/12 18:36, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>> Suddenly having problems. I  have lost the buttons to maximise,
>>> minimise and close pages.
>>>
>>> I cannot use the menus suddenly. The menus drop down but when I move
>>> the mouse down the menu disappears.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> This is using my fairly new install of Mint Maya Xfce
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Neil
>>>
>> I upgraded Ubuntu recently and encountered similar behaviour.
>>
>> Try renaming .cache directory in your home.
>> If that doesn't work then you can always rename it back to .cache no
>> harm done.
>>
>> If it does work you will probably find you have your  old renamed
>> .cache directory and a new .cache directory, in which case its safe to
>> remove the renamed one.
>>
>> Hope that helps
>>
>> Tom.
>>

> this might be related to your log off problem (see above about display
> of confirmation dialog). If the desktop display is somehow "iffy"
> (technical term) all kind of minor strangeness can happen. And yes
> renaming whatever the desktop .config file is in xfce should help as a
> new one should be generated.

It did not help at all. As you say, this may be related to my log off
problem. The result is that I no longer have any confidence in Maya
Xfce. Even if I managed to sort it I would always be worried about it.

My other choice was Xubuntu 12.04 so I have now downloaded the latest
iso file and burned it to a CD. Luckily I played safe when installing
Maya and chose to accept the offer of setting up a dual boot with Mint
KDE. This is what I am using now.

I would like to remove Maya, install Xubuntu and still keep Mint KDE to
dual boot with Xubuntu. Is this possible? If so, should I use gparted
first to clear the sda6 partition (which holds Maya) first or try to do
it as part on the installation of Xubuntu?

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Neil