Re: [LUG] wifi hunting

On 15/11/12 18:56, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> A whole world of wireless RF fun awaits down this road ;-)

This man (Robin) knows of what he speaks. Wireless stuff is *FUN*!

I spend a lot of time recompiling things that are in any way related to
wifi: kismet, aircrack-ng, the kernel, etc. I have built more cantennas
than I care to remember. My crappy old laptop has 4 (injection capable)
wifi interfaces on it, including USB/PCMCIA additions - I use my DLink
PCMCIA card with the cover cracked off to attach a coax pigtail lead to
a Buffalo directional antenna (1200m range, although it's never managed
that) as it has a very linux-friendly Atheros chipset.

His mention of kismet led to me repackaging the latest versions from
Debian mentors, ping me if anyone wants the *.debs (Debian Sid only).
Was a pain in the arse as libnls2 was required, and it's just been
yanked from the repos in favour of v3... queue massive back-porting
exercise.

Should I maybe start my own repo? I've been maintaining internal repos
forever, and every time I ever boot a new Debian system I  always have
to start rebuilding immediately... would anyone be interested? You'd
have to be on Debian Sid for it to be of any consequence... I don't do
Ubuntu/Mint anymore.

Regards